Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Most

Yesterday I made slaw out of the densest (most dense?) cabbage I've ever encountered. Just think about that. Of all the cabbages I've met in my whole life, 54 and a half years, this was the most solid. It got me thinking.

For every thing and event there is one that is the most ______ in our lives. That is, there has been a time when I was at the highest altitude in my life. I don't know when it was, but the moment existed. Maybe one day I'll be higher than that. Who knows?

It's hard to say when I was happiest, since that's so very hard to measure, but there was a moment when the serotonin in my brain was at the very best level. There was a time when I was colder than any other time. Possibly I was walking back from sledding at Billy Goat Hill, but I can't be sure.

There has been a time when held my breath for the longest time, laughed the loudest, and slept the least in a week. All of these records have occurred and I didn't even mark them.

My mother used to tell me to do my best, but what does that really mean? Can't I only do that once? Maybe I want to save it for my 60's. Or maybe it means that I'm supposed to do the best I can at any given moment, considering the situation, my general health and state of mind, wind speed, etc. If that's the case, then don't I always do my best?

Maybe instead of telling ourselves and others to do our best, we should just say, "Be well," or "Have enough," or "Enjoy excellence." There's less pressure.

You should have seen that cabbage, though. It was really, really dense.

No comments:

Post a Comment