Thursday, June 21, 2012

Fay of the Stardust Clan



My roommate (OK, so we haven't lived together since college and that was a year or two ago, but I still consider her, My Roommate) is very into genealogy.  And she looked into my family tree for me.  I had some questions about my heritage.  It's just amazing the stuff I'm finding out.  So far, my ancestors seem to share an affinity for marrying the hired help and growing great beards.  You should see Great Aunt Hazel!

My mind continues to be blown regarding this genealogy stuff, not because it's strange, but because it's news to me.  So many family secrets. It's hard to imagine a time (although I understand it) when people felt as if they had to lose their "Jewishness" on the boat over here, or hide the fact that their father was "no good Irish." I'm trying to get my mind around feeling a part of any tribe of human beings. 
 
I was going to say I'm proud of my heritage and it's not untrue, however, I would be just as proud if my heritage reveals Inuit or African or Chinese or. . . . Gourd help me, Australian roots. The bottom line is we are all mammals on planet Earth, as far as I know. That's about the smallest tribe to which I'll identify. 
 
In fact, I feel more at ease with trees and other animals than I do with most human beings. Maybe my tribe is "living" beings on Planet Earth. Well, you know, I've always had a strong attraction to many rocks - geodes, mica, those smooth black river stones - and the rivers.  The Mississippi River and I are in love.  Maybe my tribe is Things on Planet Earth. Or maybe it's just Planet Earth.
 
Come to think of it, we are all of us born of stardust. We are all of us the Universe.
 
Hello, I'm happy to meet you.  I am Fay of the Stardust Clan.
 
Now what was my question about heritage, again?

2 comments:

  1. Love it ,this is a real classic...thank you for sharing with us all......Zab from the Stardust clan.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we all share a commonality. Unfortunately, a large percentage of us still focus on the differences. So sad.

    PS. I'm still here and think of you often.

    ReplyDelete